Communities Grow with Transit
- For every dollar communities invest in public transportation, approximately $4 is generated in economic returns.
- 1.1 million jobs are created or sustained annually.
- 50,000 jobs result from the productivity gains of $1 billion in federal investment.
- $66 billion in business sales are generated each year.
- Every $10 million in capital investment in public transportation yields $30 million in increased business sales.
- From 2006-2011, residential property values performed 42 percent better on average if they were located near public transportation with high-frequency service.
- Public transportation is a $57 billion industry that puts people to work – directly employing nearly 400,000 people and creating hundreds of thousands of private-sector jobs.
- $9.5 billion in local, state, and federal tax revenue are generated each year.